AGSM's first official publication for the membership made its debut in September 1936. It was called the AGSM Bulletin and was sent out every other month. It was an immediate hit with the membership who appreciated being kept informed of what was happening in other chapters. In the late 1940's the name of the publication was changed to The Gold Star Mother.
The AGSM Headquarters builing on Leroy Place was purchased by AGSM in 1954 for $25,000. The mortgage was paid off in just six years and there was a ceremonial "burning of the mortgage" at the 1961 national convention.
In the late 1970's, AGSM was barely making ends meet. In 1978, national president Emogene C. Cupp initiated a greeting card sales program that lasted for five years; at the end of that time the organization was financially stable with money in the bank!
AGSM's founder, Grace Darlin Seibold, was named for a Victorian era heroine, Grace Darling. Celebrated in poetry, song and story, Miss Darling helped with the daring 1838 rescue of passengers from a ship that had broken apart after foundering on rocks in a terrible storm. Braving winds and storm, Miss Darling took to the sea in a rowboat to help the survivors who were desperately clinging to rocks in the frigid sea.
World War II gold star mothers Aleta Sullivan, who lost five sons when the USS Juneau was sunk in 1942, and Gunda Borgstrom, who lost four sons within five months in various theaters of war, were both members of AGSM.
The US Post Office issued a gold star mohters potage stamp on September 21, 1948. The 3 cent stamp is gold and displays a five-pointed star superimposedon a palm leaf with the words "Gold Str Mothers" inscribed below.
In 1936, President Franklin D. Roosevelt officially designated the last Sunday in September as Gold Star Mothers Day. AGSM took a position against such a day being designated, stating that gold star mothers already had Mother's Day and that was sufficient. However, when the proclamation was signed, AGSM formally thanked the President for his action.
AGSM received a Congressional Charter in 1984. The organization had been periodically pursuing such a charter since the early 1930s without success. When the charter was finally granted, many members of Congress admitted that they thought the organization had been chartered decades before.